Monday, December 20, 2010

The Joys of Making "Family Memories"

Happy Monday everyone. I wanted to share a funny story from last Thursday night. I am really big into making family memories. Looking back on my childhood, we had the best time and great memories to reflect on. So in an effort to start traditions, Charlie and I (mostly me) wanted to take a family trip to McAdenville with the my sister and her family (Lori, Rob, nephew Gavin 6, and niece Reagan 3) to see the Christmas lights. Unfortunately, Rob had a work Christmas party and was unable to participate. So we load up our 4Runner with 2 carseats, Lori, Charlie, and me. We started at McDonald's in Gastonia as that was the kids choice of dining. I think the huge, indoor playground had a lot to do with that decision as well. Then off we go to the Christmas lights in McAdenville, except this time I get in the back middle seat bc Lori felt the beginning of car sickness and she took my place in the front. The night couldn't have gone better, with my hot chocolate in hand, and disregarding Lori and Charlie's quiet comments about how this outing was boring, no one was going to rain on this parade. As we are riding through McAdenville, we roll down the windows to hear the church bells and so the kids can tell every passing car "Merry Christmas." We even let Gavin put his head out of the sunroof and tell everyone "Merry Christmas." (Please don't think we are awful and dangerous, everyone else does it and we were holding onto him very tightly.) Gavin's next Christmas wish for everyone went something like this "Merry Christmas to all and to all THE goodnight." Yes, "the goodnight," but it was soo cute.

After we leave McAdenville, we are going down the interstate about 20 minutes from home, when Reagan (whom I am still sitting beside) starts saying over and over "Take my seatbelt off, take my seatbelt off." I explain that we can't bc we are going down the road and its dangerous. "Take my seatbelt off, take my seatbelt off, cough, cough, VOMIT!!" I flip the light on and find "mess" all over the place. So Lori gets me the napkins that I always keep in my dash, and I proceed to start wiping. This poor angel was just crying and soaked. As I am wiping round 2 came and this time it was projectile and was all over the place, including the back of the driver's seat and all over my hand. My eyes pop open really wide, fought off my initial urge to vomit myself, and started giving orders. "Next exit, gas station on right, GO." All the while, my little angel Reagan is just crying for me to wipe her wipe her. We were out of napkins.

We finally make it to this gas station, Charlie runs in to get supplies, Lori and I strip Reagan in the parking lot down to her undies, clean her off, and set her in the front seat with her mommy's fleece jacket over her. Reagan's clothes go into a plastic bag and are tied off, and the carseat is moved into the very back of the car as well. Oh yeah, meanwhile, Gavin, still sitting in his carseat, keeps saying "Oh my gosh, Reagan is going to die, Reagan is going to die." The car is finally cleaned (as much as could be) and back on the interstate we go with Reagan riding on Lori's lap (don't judge). Right before our exit off the interstate, Reagan says "I need a napkin, I need a napkin, VOMIT." This time she vomited all over mommy's fleece jacket....twice. Once we finally got back to their house, the windows could be rolled up, and Reagan was immediately stuck in the tub and her carseat and clothes were placed in the washing machine. Lori and Rob gave us a gift certificate to have our car cleaned both inside and out. It looks like someone takes after their mommy.

How about that for making family memories?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, that is awful! Poor thing...and poor you! But you handled it like a true champ!

    Merry Christmas and Prayers and Blessings always
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... should I even ask if ya'll are going to keep this tradition next year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!! I love this story, the nice setting the pretty lights, Gavin's well wishes... and now I can't stop laughing! :D Definitely one for "memories"

    ReplyDelete