Friday, August 13, 2010

Comforted

So I will briefly update on the Clomid process. Yesterday and today have been complete hot flash days. No headaches, nothing, but HOT FLASHES. So moving on.

I had an appointment today with a new practice located in Rock Hill and Tega Cay and Steele Creek, etc...YAY convenience. So I went back to my original doctor, "Dr. R." He walked in the room cheerful, optimistic, and ready to help me. This doctor is special to our family bc he is the one who found Miss Reagan's heart defects. So I tell him about my experience with the first baby and the miscarriage and the testing and the clomid,etc. The miscarriage happened on 6/6 and since then I have had 2 normal AF visits. This was my first month back on Clomid. He just looked at me, didn't say anything, and kept writing. So I asked, you think its too early to go back on Clomid? His answer was "I would have done a mid/low progesterone test on you to see when and if you O on your own. A lot of times after a miscarriage or pregnancy, your body starts to naturally O again on its own." WOW!! He also told me that next month, if I do not get pregnant, there will be no Clomid use in September. He wanted to test me and see if my body is O'ing on its own. He also informed me that Clomid is tied to miscarriages and if my body is naturally O'ing on its own AND I have taken Clomid this month, then my risk for multiples has also increased. I asked if the mid/low progesterone test is a version of the 21 day progesterone test that I was getting a my previous doctor. He informed me that the 21 day test is based on the thought that all women have a 28 days cycle, which many do not. Therefore, 8 days after I get the surge on my OPK I go in for progesterone testing. About those OPK tests, my previous doctor told me to quit wasting my time with those; however now they are crucial to not only tell us "good" days, but also to schedule that progesterone test.

The last part of the appointment was very encouraging and I REALLY needed to hear this today. I asked him what's happens if I do not get pregnant? I was trying to get him to talk about fertility clinics. However, his mind was not even there. He told me that I have already crossed the huge bridge of getting pregnant. Its people who have never been pregnant after so long of trying that may never have their babies. But women who have been pregnant, and even miscarried, will most of the time have their own babies. Our main concern was once we get pregnant, we need to maintain that pregnancy.

All in all, its been a great Friday. In my mind progress was made. Have a great weekend ya'll.

3 comments:

  1. Mary,

    So happy that you had a good day :) Don't days like this feel great!

    As for your Dr. visit, I am sure he means well and has your best interest at heart, but I would say that if you desire a second opinion from and RE, reproductive endocrinologist, please do so. OB's are absolutely wonderful people, but fertility is not their expertise, as they specialize in care of the pregnant woman. Also, an RE has extensive training in fertiity, where most OB's only spend about 3 months on the subject.

    In no way do I want to discourage your visit, as I believe your Dr. raised some very good points and you obviously trust him. But, do leave your options open to see an RE, as a second opinion is always good. Initialy, my OB did not want to send me to an RE, but after talking with her extensively she agreed an RE was best "for me". We are all unique and I certainly would say go with your heart on this one :) Above and beyond anything else I wish you nothing but baby dust...lots and lots of it!

    Sorry that you are enduring hot flashes with the clomid, but praying it works :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    I am so glad you had a good appointment today and this Doctor sounds really great! Keep up your positivity....it can only help! Love you and keeping you in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you went for a second opinion. Andrea's answer sound familiar? ;) I guess us girls who have stepped though the comforting doors of an RE think alike. I am SO HAPPY that you went to the other MD for another opinion. Who knows maybe you WILL be preggo this time and not have to worry about it. It also sounds like he will watch you more closely than the previous MD once you are preggo.
    Keep up the positive and comforted spirit as this will move your body in the direction for conceiving... along with a few laughs and fun things to keep your mind off your TWW!
    Praying like crazy!
    Call me if you need a girls night!
    Jenny H

    ReplyDelete