Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Clomid Day 2 & and Interesting Study

Just wanted to update on my Clomid symptoms for day 2. Yesterday was fine until about mid-morning and then I start having hot flashes...not just feeling hot, but full on sweating, feeling like insides are a furnace...HOTFLASHES! Then after lunch the headache started. It did not go away yesterday and I still have the dull remains even this morning. I was determined I was going to do what was on my to-do list yesterday: go to Wal-mart for groceries and to the farmer's market. I cooked green beans yesterday (stringed them, snapped them, and put them in a pot for hours) for the first time ever and okra (I live in the south and have NEVER done this) and was pretty impressed with my supper. At Wal-mart I also did something that I have never done before...bought WHOLE MILK. Here's why:

A study found that women who ate 2 or more low-fat dairy food portions per day increased their risk of ovulation-related infertility by 85%, compared with women who ate less than 1 portion per week. If women ate at least 1 portion of high-fat dairy food a day, their risk of anovulatory infertility was 27% lower compared to women who had 1 high-fat dairy serving a week or less.

If total calorie intake was unchanged, the study found that an extra serving of low-fat dairy foods appeared to increase risk of infertility by 11%. While an extra serving of high-fat dairy products was associated with 22% lower risk of infertility. The study also found that women who ate ice cream two more times per week had a 38% lower risk compared with a woman who ate ice cream less often than once per week.

I googled this topic about whole milk for fertility purposes when a girlfriend told me about a book called the Fertility Diet. In the book, it is suggested to drink whole milk, which then led me to this article. www.medpagetoday.com/Endocinology/Infertility/5158

Needless to say, my original grocery list of greek yogurt and skim milk was quickly revised to include no yogurt and added whole milk. The study also says that once you become pregnant, women should revert back to their lowfat ways. However, if we plan to have another child (which we do), I will probably just stay on the whole milk and eat the occasional ice cream in hopes that we never go through these infertility struggles again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Mary, sorry that you are having those hot flashes. I did not have them, but I did have a constant, dull headache for 6 days. And I had no appetite.

    Great research too!

    Hang in there, 3 more days right?

    many hugs

    ReplyDelete