Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bikinis and Breakdowns

During the summer work weeks, Charlie and I often go to our neighborhood pool around 5-6 in the evenings. We are home from work, the pool isn't crowded, we catch up, and one of us likes to feel weightless in the water. Its great actually. I have been rocking my pre-pregnancy bikinis; however I have officially out grown those. How do I phrase this delicately? Oh forget it, side-boob is not attractive. So Friday evening, I tried out my pregnancy tankini, black and white print, trimmed in red. Once I got this on, queue the waterworks and emotional breakdown. To be honest, I do not know what the big deal was; my best guess is hormones. Its not that I am unhappy with my pregnant body; ironically I am incredibly secure rocking this little boy's baby bump. Charlie is so into this pregnancy and always makes me feel so amazing about myself and builds me up that I don't have time to be insecure about my pregnant body. However, the pregnancy tankini combined with hormones did not go over so well. In my mind, I attribute tankinis to growing up (no, I do not fret about aging either), being a "mom," something we wear to hide flaws, or something we wear becuase its not considered appropriate to wear bikinis anymore. I totally understand that others do wear tankinis while not pregnant because they feel more confident, more secure, or they are more conservative than me. To each, their own. Pre-pregnancy, I have not worn bikinis with the intention of showing off my body (which is exactly what they do), its just something I have worn since I was a little girl during the summer months. Bikinis are my norm in the summertime, so why do I feel the need to change my norm just because I am pregnant? I have wanted this belly for 2.5 years, and I have it, so let's rock it. To fix the breakdown, on Saturday morning I made a trip to my local Pickles and Ice Cream in Southpark and fixed this problem in a very "Mary" way. Behold my new maternity leopard print bikini.












Thank you Lord that you have blessed me with a ridiculous emotional breakdown, which only means that this is a healthy pregnancy and Mason is growing and developing exactly as he should. Healthy pregnancies mean tantrums and breakdowns over nothing and for that I am eternally grateful!! Have a great day ya'll.

3 comments:

  1. Haha. I'm sure you looked great. I rocked a skirted tankini and I still wear it! Because I'm definitely not exposing this post baby body. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just go to TJ Maxx and get a new bikini so you can rock the pregnant body!

    I realized the other week that I had boob sticking out on the side, so I switched to my sports bra bikini, but I like a bikini...so I need to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are quiet the hillarious baby bump rocker! A bikini! lol So funny I just went shopping and totally went with the tankini top! OMG Mary... just wait til next year, the left over bump doesn't look so well! AHHH!!! It was cute when there was a baby in there! lol Oh geeze! It was so worth it! I just chose one that will tame the girls and allow me to nurse without exposing everything to the whole world... oh and just wait.. the lady at mother hood graciously comforted me in saying, "honey it's completely normal going up 2 sizes." She knew I was ready to burst into tears.
    It is all worth it and I am sure you look amazing in your pregnancy bikini!!! Rock that bump girl!!!
    love you and miss u tons!

    ReplyDelete